Saturday, June 04, 2011

Candied Fruit Biscuits

It's been this sort of a day…..



So I'm finding solace in baking. I'm properly tired, but can't really sit still. I am seemingly incapable of doing nothing, so baking and then sitting watching Ella Enchanted interspersed with bits of tidying and washing up, seems to be all I can handle. But, in exciting news, I'm on holiday next week! I'm going to Switzerland on Monday for a week. Happy days! It's sunny at the moment and hopefully it'll hold. Either way, it'll be 7 mornings of getting up significantly after 5 or 6 am!

I went to my friend's house to watch Dr Who on Thurday (I'm so excited about tonight's episode!!!!!!!) and got to peruse her DVD and cookbook collection. I therefore pinched one of her baking books and was intrigued by one recipe that was mostly egg white and almond, somewhat macaroon-ish. 

I just tried to make it, and it didn't work anything like the recipe! My eggs are all mixed sizes (it's so much cheaper that way ;)) and the picture showed a runny mixture, whereas mine was very stiff. I suspect that if I make them I shall use 3 egg whites. I now have two egg yolks left though, so I shall also make my favourite choc chip cookie recipe :) I shall share them all with you, because I'm such a generous soul. 

I also made fudge yesterday, as I'd promised some to a friend to help her through finals. However, I dropped my sugar thermometer the other day and it died :( I assumed I'd just be able to work out my fudge using my cunning sense of smell, sight, and a glass of water to do the soft ball stage test. The first batch went to crumbs and refused to behave, which I put down to having worked out the ingredients wrong,



so I tried again, and got the same result. I'm definitely nicking my old sugar thermometer off my mum - she decided it was hers and took it to Switzerland, whereas I am convinced that it's actually mine. Not sure whether or not a thermometer would be allowed in hand luggage? Or indeed in hold luggage? Would it die and spill mercury everywhere?!

So, here's the first recipe…. choc chip cookies to follow later. I will remember to take many photos as well this time! The recipe is from 'home baking cookbook'

2 egg whites
225g/8oz ground almonds
140g/5oz caster sugar
1 tsp finely grated orange rind (with my brilliant zester and my chopping board this worked out at about half an orange)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp candied fruit, plus extra to decorate
demerara sugar, for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4. Line 2 large baking sheets with non stick baking paper

1. Beat the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff.



2. Using a knife, gently fold in the ground almonds, caster sugar, orange rind, cinnamon and fruit until smooth



3. Transfer the mixture to a piping bag fitted with a large nozzle (at least 1cm/1/2 inch in diameter) Pipe 20 biscuits about 3 inches in diameter. Space well apart to allow for spreading. Sprinkle with demerara sugar



4. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 mins or until light brown.

Transfer to a wire rack. Decorate with candied fruit and leave to cool completely before serving.
This is what mine looked like - they taste ok, but they're not great. I'm definitely going to try it again with 3 egg whites as the picture shows a very thin mixture that pipes easily. I'll post the results when I do!


No comments: