Tuesday, November 15, 2011

White Chocolate Brownies


So, I got up at 4.30, worked like a mule for 8 hours. Then ate masses of food. I do not appreciate having to make 4 reasonably-sized meals a day and still being starving in between! However, this evening I'm going to make waffles, 'cause I'm such a rebel ;) I'm supposed to be cleaning my house and writing a business plan for my intended cake shop....maybe making waffles will give me the energy I need to tackle the rest of my tasks!?!

On to recipe fun....

This is a recipe I got from my friend Anna. They are wonderfully, beautifully tasty.

300g/10oz White chocolate (110g/4oz into mix, the rest will be choc chips)
85g/3oz butter/marg
3 large eggs
170g/6oz light brown sugar
170g/6oz self raising flour
170g/6oz ground almonds

I always check the differences between the ounce and gram amounts, and these had been worked out badly, so I've adjusted them. You should always choose to follow either the grams or ounces though

1. Preheat your oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a tin with greaseproof paper, they suggest 18x28cm but I used 15x20 cm, I think deeper brownies are gooier and therefore tastier!

2. Place 110g/4oz white chocolate into a bowl with butter,and place over a bowl of simmering water. Or, put it in the microwave for about a minute, but always heat it 20 secs (or 10 as it starts to melt) at a time as white chocolate burns very easily. Once the choc has start to melt stir it and it should gradually melt as you stir. 

It should look like this :)

3. leave the chocolate to cool (check by (dipping your finger in) that it's about body temp). 

4. Place ground almonds and flour into a bowl. NOT THE EGGS OR THE SUGAR....
OOPS.....
5. Add the sugar and eggs to the white chocolate and butter mix (I had to rescue mine from the wrong bowl!

Mmmm, tasty
6. Sieve in the flour and fold in the ground almonds and all-important chocolate chips

I ran out of white chocolate so used milk instead, 
but I think it tastes better when it's all white chocolate

4. Transfer to prepared tin and smooth batter down. Bake for about 35 mins until risen, just set and slightly golden. Allow to cool in the tin, then cut and store. 

Uncooked brownies, tasty face

White choc brownies are easier than dark choc in this respect. As long as you set the temperature correctly you can trust the colour that it goes. I'd say mine are slightly overdone at one end - I suggest checking after 20 minutes. 

Slightly overdone this end, but you get the idea of slightly golden brown from other end of the tin :)
There we go. A guide to really, really good white chocolate brownies. Enjoy!




No comments: