Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Fudgy Chocolate Muffins

Just over two manic weeks later.... Mickey Mouse was successfully finished, and came out pretty well I thought. Then Hannah and I had a wedding cake to make - such a pretty statue on top provided by the bride. It was the first cake I've made with pillars, which was a new and exciting challenge. It's always terrifying when you make the cake nice and smooth and then you have to stick a piece of dowling through it and pray that you've got it in the right place 'cos there's no going back!



My forearms are currently in some major pain due to my first two weeks as a baker. Dough is heavy, and I have to roll a LOT out! Nevertheless it's much more fun than sitting in an office being ranted at. The 5am starts are a little traumatic, but I guess I'll get used to them - currently I'm getting good at sleeping in the afternoons. Had a beautiful 3 hour nap today to make up for the early start and lack of sleep yesterday. 

So I decided to share my new favourite chocolate muffin recipe. I made some for all of us girls at our church small group weekend away and the recipe was demanded by all, so here it is for your delectation and delight! We got to go pony trekking - I even cantered... terrifying but fun, and I had a very cute horse.

Chocolate fudge muffins

Makes 9 Muffins. 190C or 170C fan oven

150g light muscavado sugar
3 eggs
80g butter
100g dark chocolate (70%+)
80g plain flour
150g chopped white chocolate (original recipe had chocolate coated oranges)
30g pecans or other nuts (optional)

1. Melt butter and chocolate together (I seriously love the smell of this mix, heavenly!)

2. Whisk together sugar and eggs for about 5 minutes until lighter in colour, thick and mousse-like

3. Whisk butter/choc mixture into the egg/sugar mix

4. Sieve in flour with a pinch of salt and stir in flour and chocolate/nuts

5. Spoon into 9 muffin cases
6. Cook for 20 minutes, until risen and firm. Don't worry if they sink a bit after they've been cooked. 


If you want to make them chocolate orange muffins just add 1 tsp orange extract.

Enjoy :)

No comments: